Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:10:10 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=2E_Juli=E1n_Rodr=EDguez?= <warenostrum@gmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Question about amd64 tier1 status.

Hi,

I=B4m a FreeBSD user from 4.0 version to Current (i386 arch). I've recently
switched to a amd64 machine and
consecuently to the amd64 version of the OS.
You claim the amd64 version enjoys "Tier 1 Status", but in the page
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/archs.=
html
under the point "12.2 Tier 1: Fully Supported Architectures" i read:

"Tier 1 architectures are expected to be fully supported by the ports
system. All the ports should build on a Tier 1 platform,
or have the appropriate filters to prevent the inappropriate ones from
building there. The packaging system must support all
Tier 1 architectures. To ensure an architecture's Tier 1 status, proponents
of that architecture must show that all relevant
packages can be built on that platform."

At this moment is not possible to run Wine on a amd64 version of Freebsd du=
to problems of the amd64 kernel handling
segment registers, ldt segments or something like that (too technical for m=
to explain right but the point is
that it doesn=B4t work). No matter which way you try (port, 32 bit package,
etc) there is no report of success as far as i know.

My question is:

"Is Wine a non relevant port (I don't thik so) or the amd64 version of
FreeBSD doesn't meet the requirements to be
considered a Tier 1 Architecture ?"

Hope you will excuse my poor english.

Greetings and best wishes.

Juli=E1n Rodr=EDguez.