Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 23:25:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dave Hodge <dlhodge@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help with several problem discovered in the New release 2.2.2 FreeBSD.

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Dave Hodge wrote:

> The first and most important problem has to do with the inability of
> FreeBSD to recognize my serial port, sio1. I find this extremely odd and
> frustrating because prior to upgrading to Version 2.2.2 I had Version
> 2.1.5 install and running without incident. When I execute the “dmesg”
> command the information returns the message: “sio1: 0x2f8 not found.”
> Next I performed a shutdown of my system and rebooted using the “boot
> -c” command when appropriate. I was hoping to detect some type of
> conflict, but none existed. Finally I tried to echo to the device with
> the following command: “echo atdt(my number) > /dev/cuaa1”, to which I
> received this message in reply to my action: “/dev/cuaa1: Device Not
> Configured.” Do you have any ideas what could be going wrong. Please
> note that everything works perfectly in Win95. No problems in
> recognizing the modem at all. (Fyi I’m not confused on what modem number
> I’m accessing either.)

What type of port or modem is this?  Some cheap modems doesn't respond
properly and there is probably some sort of timing issue with this
release.

> The second problem that I have experience has to do with the
> distribution disk of Version 2.2.2 for FreeBSD. I was hoping to correct
> a problem to what looks to be a majorily hosed “rc.conf” file. This
> configuration file is one half megabyte in size. A little large wouldn’t
> you say. When I tried to more the file I recognized that is was very
> messed up in it’s format

This is a known bug.  Either skip the post-install configuration or grab a
new boot floppy from releng22.freebsd.org and install a snapshot of
2.2-STABLE (bugfixed 2.2.2).

> Finally, I’ve been trying to find out if there is anyway via FreeBSD for
> floppies to support anything other than the 8.3 convention for file
> names. I really need the “/dev/fd0” to support long file names. Long
> time ago I remember that one could select various file system formats
> for their floppy drives. Is there anything that you can think of to help
> me.

If you format the floppies to UFS format it'll work, but Win95 long
filenames aren't supported.  See /etc/disktab for floppy formatting
instructions.  (Note: see http://resnet.uoregon.edu/dwhite/makedisk.html
for hard disks & removables.)

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo