Date:      23 Dec 1998 16:12:07 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        "Jeff Vehrs" <JWVEHRS@hewitt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Get dynamic IP address from DHCP server on the net?

"Jeff Vehrs" <JWVEHRS@hewitt.com> writes:

> Hi - I'd like to know how can I "tell" my fbsd box to get a dynamic IP
> address from the DHCP server on the net? I've already installed
> wide-dhcp-1.4.0p1 from the package stable. I've added "pseudo-device
> bpfilter  4" to the kernel and created /dev/bpf[0-3]. Then, I added 3 IP
> addresses of DHCP server in /etc/resolv.conf ==> xx.xx.xx.xx. Should I
> added "nameserver" to ip address?

Perhaps I misunderstand what you want to do. Do you want to boot the
freebsd box and have it acquire it's IP and such from a DHCP server
somewhere else on the LAN? If so, I do this on my laptop with the
"isc-dhcp2" port using the "dhclient" program. At home I have a DHCP
server (also running on FreeBSD :-) and the offices I usually work at
have servers (not on FreeBSD, unfortunately).

It's been a while since I used the WIDE software but I expect it has a
client too.

The external DHCP server should provide your FreeBSD client with its
IP, default router, DNS domain and server address so you should have
to do this.