Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 11:03:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      David Marsh <drmarsh@bigfoot.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable LIST <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make buildworld errors when upgrading 3.2R -> RELENG_3

Following advice given a few days ago, I changed from trying to upgrade
from 3.2R to RELENG_4 in one fell swoop, and and now first trying to
upgrade to RELENG_3 before making the leap to RELENG_4.

I have now cvsup'ed the RELENG_3 sources, and am now attempting to make
buildworld.

I first tried last night, leaving the computer running before I went to bed.

The make buildworld stopped at some point overnight with error/signal (can't
remember the exact wording) 11 (definitely number 11, though).

Fine, I thought, I delete /usr/obj and just start again, in case it was a
one-off glitch..

I have tried to buildworld again this morning and this time make buildworld
stopped with the following:

[last few lines of typescript included]

::::::

cc -O -pipe -DLIBC_RCS -DSYSLIBC_RCS -I/usr/src/lib/libc/include
-D__DBINTERFACE_PRIVATE -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -I/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/locale
-DBROKEN_DES -DYP -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c
/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/gen/timezone.c -o timezone.o
cc -O -pipe -DLIBC_RCS -DSYSLIBC_RCS -I/usr/src/lib/libc/include
-D__DBINTERFACE_PRIVATE -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -I/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/locale
-DBROKEN_DES -DYP -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c
/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/gen/ttyname.c -o ttyname.o
cc -O -pipe -DLIBC_RCS -DSYSLIBC_RCS -I/usr/src/lib/libc/include
-D__DBINTERFACE_PRIVATE -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -I/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/locale
-DBROKEN_DES -DYP -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c
/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/gen/ttyslot.c -o ttyslot.o
cc -O -pipe -DLIBC_RCS -DSYSLIBC_RCS -I/usr/src/lib/libc/include
-D__DBINTERFACE_PRIVATE -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -I/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/locale
-DBROKEN_DES -DYP -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c
/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/gen/ualarm.c -o ualarm.o
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

::::::

From previous posts on this list, it appears that these kind of errors
usually suggest some kind of hardware problem?

I'll be the first to admit that my machine is not the best. I was on a
strict budget at the time, and the machine is a Pentium-MMX 233MHz, with a
cheapie no-name TX PRO-II motherboard, home-built from components (new).

The machine has been slightly upgraded since then, and now has 64MB RAM
(4x 16MB SIMMs (all 'no-name')) and a larger hard disk.

In everyday use the machine does crash occasionally (it's not left on
permanently, and crashes maybe on one occasion every few weeks), but I'm
never sure whether this is a result of shonky hardware or whether it's just
Netscape sucking up all of the resources..

I'm reluctant to buy a new motherboard or memory (SIMMs are seemingly
almost impossible to get hold of now, although the motherboard can also take
DIMMs) on the off-chance that this may fix things as I can't really afford
or justify it.

I will try a further make buildworld, but if it looks like I'm continually
running up errors (I appreciate that a buildworld puts a not inconsiderable
strain on the components), I was wondering if there was an easy way to do a
'binary' upgrade of my system.

Ordering the latest release CDs from the USA would obviously take a few
weeks (oh, such impatience), I was wondering if there was a way to download
and install a "binary" release (which I wouldn't need to compile) from the
net in such a way that could be cleanly managed over consecutive one-hour
download sessions (bear in mind that in the UK we have to pay for phone
calls, and my flatmates do also need to use the phone, so it's not really
possible for me to stay online for 50 hours at a time, although I could
download 50-hours' worth of files progressively..  )

David.

--
David Marsh,drmarsh@bigfoot.com | http://www.viewport.co.uk/          |
Glasgow, Scotland.              | If urgent, phone: +44 77-121-848-90 |