Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:09:33 -0400
From:      "Passki, Jonathan P" <jpasski@kpmg.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Opinions on Sound Card Support/Preference w/ 4.1

Hello All,

After looking in the FAQ, and after trying to run queries against the
mailing list (why did they take out the date sort function, such a pain in
the a** now to get current hits), I'm asking the opinion of the list on what
PCI (no ISA's) sound cards are best supported under 4.1 fbsd.  By best, I
mean what types of features like Wavetable and synthesizer support, audio
in/out support on card, and sampling rates for recording and playback.  MIDI
isn't needed, and joystick control isn't a big deal.  If it needs OSS
drivers and options, no big deal there, either.  Stability is a nice thing,
though :-)

I'd like to run some basic games (Quake and the such) on the box, and also
pipe in sound from an entertainment center.  Mostly, though, mp3's and CD
audio is what I'd be doing with it, and piping that out to the entertainment
center (I know, I know, mp3's suck for quality, but, hey...).

The system is an AMD k7/750 w/ 256MB RAM, 2940U2W SCSI controller w/ a 18G
LVD drive, running 4.1 -S.  I'm not thinking there will be any limitations
caused by the system.

Thanks a lot!!!

Jon

is unauthorized.