Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 17:00:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bmk@dtr.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New version of ccd driver available

[Sic to use the list for this, but it may get to you]

> > (7) What's the second field in /etc/ccd.conf?
>
> > That's the "interleave size".  Basically, the ccd driver will write
> > this many sectors (usually 512 bytes) to one disk before it moves to
> > the next disk.  As a special case, a zero here means no interleave,
> > i.e., to concatenate disks serially.
>
> > We have found that in FFS, a value of 16 usually optimizes read
> > performance, while the write peaks with a much larger value (like
> > 512).  This probably has to do with cluster_write() thinking it's
> > writing to a single disk when it's actually not.  This is one of the
> > things we are planning to fix.
>
> I've done some performance testing - both mirrored and striped - on
> one of my systems.  I noted a different performance curve than you did,
> so I thought you might like to see them.  (I used a SCSI-I disk, and
> provided the results run on a standard FFS - the numbers are mostly
> useful to compare to the FFS baseline results.)
>
> The results are at "http://www.dtr.com/ccd" - Mostly it's raw results

If you are wondering why you have not heard from me I am having problems
resolving your domain:

                Mail Queue (1 request)
--Q-ID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient------------
XAA20111      801 Wed Jan 31 23:21 sales
                 (dtr.com: Name server timeout)
                                   bmk@dtr.com

GndRsh:rgrimes {166} nslookup
Default Server:  GndRsh.aac.dev.com
Address:  0.0.0.0

> set query=any
> dtr.com.
Server:  GndRsh.aac.dev.com
Address:  0.0.0.0

Non-authoritative answer:
dtr.com nameserver = NS.TRANSPORT.COM
dtr.com nameserver = NS.MLN.COM

dtr.com nameserver = NS.TRANSPORT.COM
dtr.com nameserver = NS.MLN.COM
NS.TRANSPORT.COM        internet address = 204.119.17.6
NS.MLN.COM      internet address = 199.46.16.1
> server 204.119.17.6
Default Server:  www.transport.com
Address:  204.119.17.6

> dtr.com.
Server:  www.transport.com
Address:  204.119.17.6

Non-authoritative answer:
dtr.com nameserver = mln.mln.com
dtr.com preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.dtr.com

dtr.com nameserver = mln.mln.com
mail.dtr.com    internet address = 204.119.17.5

a)  You have a bad set of deligations for dtr.com
b)  I can not resolve mln.mln.com
c)  I can not reach ns.mln.com (199.46.16.1)