Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:24:05 -0700
From:      "Craig W. Penner" <cpenner@streamflo.com>
To:        "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
Cc:        "Archie Cobbs" <archie@dellroad.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SKIP port on 4.x

Jim,

> Your observations match ours exactly.  We also have a need to bring
> skip along in 4.x (it still works with 4.0-RELEASE) to maintain and
> expand existing VPN networks.

For what it's worth, I found that it still works with 4.1-RELEASE,
but not with 4.1.1-RELEASE.  So it broke sometime during the two
months that passed between those two releases.

> So it appears that the trouble is probably not with skip, itself, but
> with the way it is linked into the OS or the crypto implementation.

That's the conclusion I arrived at as well, and if I had to guess, I
would guess at the latter (the crypto implementation).  From the
release notes for 4.1.1:

"Since 4.1-RELEASE was produced in August 2000, RSA released
their code into the public domain and a number of
other security enhancements were made possible through the
FreeBSD project's permission to export cryptographic code
from the United States. These changes are fully reflected in 4.1.1-
RELEASE..."

Unfortunately, debugging this kind of a problem is somewhat
outside my area of expertise.

> Hopefully Archie is right and it is something simple.  I wonder if it
> would help if we would sponser the necessary effort?

That thought occurred to me as well, and this is something I might
actually be able to help out with.  What would it take?

Craig