Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 13:41:43 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        dave <dmehler22@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ghostscript downloads xwindows!!!

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, dave wrote:

>     In the quest to get my printer working I seem to be getting a lot more
> than I bargained for. I installed cvsup and upgraded /usr/ports/print,
> intending to install ghostscript 6.01 and the latest apsfilter for my
> printer. Well, I did make install in the ghostscript6 directory and It's now
> downloading xwindows, and compiling it! Why is this, I really didn't want
> it, can I safely remove it?

IIRC, ghostscript is usually configured to support X11 as an output.  The
port is probably set this way by default (more machines than not would
have X11 installed I would guess).

There should be a way of convincing the port that you don't want the X
support, in which case you can rebuild it without XFree.  Otherwise you
can probably delete everything except the X libs (in /usr/X11R6/lib ?).

If you can't figure this out, I suggest that you try and contact the
port's maintainer, or redirect your question to the ports mailing list.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac@pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia