Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:20:34 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd sound config

* mark anthony paul hammond <fivenineteen@netzero.net> [20010308 08:40]: wr=
iting on the subject 'freebsd sound config'
mark> i recently installed freebsd 4.2 and finally got the sound card to wo=
rk, but when i try to play mp3s, i get the message /dev/dsp not configured,=
 when i try to open a mixer program, i.e.., kmix, xmmix,etc., i get the mes=
sage /dev/mixer not configured, as root i have changed the permissions and =
that does not work, as root i try to do the above and still get these messa=
ges.  half the fun is trying to figure these obstacles out, but i'm impatie=
nt.  i use mobile racks on my system so i can dedicate entire hard drives t=
o linux, freebsd, and that god awful windoze. naturally everything works ok=
 in windoze, and it was pretty easy to setup sound in linux, but bsd is a l=
ittle more complicated.=20
mark>      to clarify, the sound card is working, when i line in sound it i=
s heard, but trying to use any of the many mp3 players etc, i get the messa=
ges. please help! i'm hoping i will find the answer before you reply but i =
remain hopeful.

So my Q is what makes you think you got the sound card working? I guess it =
still is not working,no?
Did you do cd /dev and=20
=2E/MAKEDEV snd0 ?????????????

=20
-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction list=
en=20
to weather forecasts and economists?=20