Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:37:50 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux || Possibly wrong list

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 02:24:48PM -0400, MET wrote:
> I've been doing a LOT of reading, and I can't seem to find anything
> resembling a clear answer.  The one truth I've found is this, there are
> more 'stupid' Linux users than there are FreeBSD users.  So I figured

That is just because there are more Linux users than FreeBSD users
overall.

> I'd ask this to a FreeBSD mailing list, as opposed to a Linux one.
>

> 1) What is the BIG difference between FreeBSD and Linux?  Is it truly a
> 'big' difference, or do people just exaggerate the truth?

It depends on what level you look at.  The internals of the kernel is
quite different between Linux and FreeBSD for example, and the
development model has some significant differences, but from the
viewpoint of a normal user there isn't much of a difference.  Some
details differ but most things are the same, or at least very similar.

This is true (to varying degrees) of all Unix variants.  From a users
point of view most things are quite similar between them, but some
details are different.

> 2) Since FreeBSD offers its 'Linux Compatibility' - will that allow me
> to use programs that were written on and for a Red Hat version of Linux?

With the exceptions of device drivers and things like that, yes.

> FreeBSD is what I know and love, but now I'm starting to use it as a
> desktop (KDE 3 / XFree86 4.2) and I just want to make sure that I'm not
> missing out on people's applications (home based) that seem to only be
> written for Linux.

Most Linux applications should run fine on FreeBSD.  Some exceptions
undoubtedly exist but those are indeed exceptions rather than the rule.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson