Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:53:47 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Gary Hartl <ghartl@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libperl.so not found snmpd

--------------enig1C0611738AA081C911E9A946

Gary Hartl wrote:
> Hi all;
>=20
> I'm setting up snmpd, I've download the package and installed it ok.
> I've setup the configuration files, when i run
>=20
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/snmpd start i get=20
>=20
> Starting snmpd.
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libperl.so" not found, required by=

> "snmpd"
>=20
> So I do a quick locate and find
>=20
> netra1# locate libperl.so
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.7/mach/CORE/libperl.so
>=20
> Is that an uncompiled version of libperl.so?  Should I add
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.7/mach/CORE to my path?
>=20
> Or is it something else completely?

It's because the current version of perl in the ports tree is 5.8.8
-- when the net-snmpd package was compiled it was linked against a later
version.  You can probably see this by examining the output of:

   % ldd /usr/local/sbin/snmpd

The fix is either:

   upgrade perl  (recommended, as there's a security advisory against
                  older versions of perl:
                  http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/5b47c279-8cb5-11dc-8878-00=
16179b2dd5.html=20
                 )

or:

    compile the net-mgmt/net-snmpd port from sources

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3