Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2012 00:40:40 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca>
Cc:        'Chris Neudorf' <chrisneudorf@yahoo.ca>, dteske@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Install Problem

Not saying your suggestion won't work but=85

The last time I had to flip the SATA mode in a BIOS to Compatibility (somet=
imes labeled "Legacy" or "IDE" mode) was when I was installing FreeBSD-4.11=
 on an Intel S5000PSL/R.

I don't think I've come across a machine that required me to change the SAT=
A mode before installing FreeBSD 9.

The OP may have said he tried sysinstall approaches but unless he specifica=
lly said he tried Druid, it actually implies he was comparing FreeBSD 8 med=
ia to FreeBSD 9's. This is naturally not a fair fight because both install =
media are using different kernels.

That's why I recommend that you try a sysinstall based installer that's act=
ually built from/for 9.0-RELEASE. It will boot with a 9.0 kernel and use sy=
sinstall to automatically set up the system.

Trying FreeBSD Druid will put the two installers (sysinstall v bsdinstall) =
on the same ground using the same kernel, so we'll be able to tell if its y=
our hardware or the installer.
--=20
Devin