Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:46:26 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@MooseRiver.com>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how "reformat" DLT IV tape from 20/40 to 40/80?

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 11:15:12PM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
> I tried degaussing a tape, but the degaussed tape is not accepted by the=
=20
> taper. The tape is ejected after about 30 s, the Media light flashes,=20
> manual says:
>=20
>  An inappropriate tape has been
>  loaded into the drive. The tape
>  should automatically eject.
>=20
> Do I need to format the tape? I really doubt that, and how would I be abl=
e=20
> to do that anyway if the tape is not accepted by the taper? Was it not=20
> enough degaussed? Also seems odd, doesn't explain why the taper ejects th=
e=20
> tape?
>=20
> Any ideas welcome!
>=20
> Regards,
> Palle

Most likely the tape is defective. These tape drives keep track of the
number of defects it finds on a tape. If that number goes above a certain
count, 20 I think, the tape is rejected. Also, the drives tries to read
and/or write a header on the tape. If it can't the tape is rejected.

Your best bet is to throw that tape away and get another. I used to have a
box full of tapes that my 8mm drive rejected. I thought that I might be
able to get them to work. Repeated degaussing never did the trick.

Josef

--=20
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 5.3
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | Berkeley, Ca.

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND--