Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:42:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Denny Jodeit <denny@jodeit.com>
Cc:        Webmaster <webmaster@customlinuxservers.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: comic relief:Re: In need of HELP

Denny Jodeit wrote to Webmaster and questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> not unless you change your email to
> webmaster@customFREEBSDservers.com
>
> <just kidding....looking for a smile from the masses>

Oh that's funny. :-) The least you could have done was answer Jason's
question. Making a wise crack about a posted question without also
offering help is just bad form, IMHO... :-)

JASON... Read below... Help is on the way :-)

-----------------------------

> I have a Travan/Conner TR-3 tape drive 1.6GB/3.2GB that i'm trying
> to get it working on FreeBSD-4.5 can you help me or point me in the
> right direction.
>
>   Thanks for your help
>
>   Jason
>   webmaster@customlinuxservers.com

Jason,

Your question was quite general, so my response is going to be equally
general. :-)

First have a look at HARDWARE, available online at:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/hardware-i386.html

I assume your tape drive is SCSI, which means it's essentially
supported. Actually, I know a lot of the smaller/older Travan drives
were IDE... if it's IDE, it's probably supported, but obviously not as
a SCSI device. For instance, I have an old HP 2.5/5.0GB Travan drive
that probes as ast0.

Have a look at your dmesg output to see what the tape drive was probed
as (i.e., which device node). Once you have that, make sure you have
the correct entry in /dev (the MAKEDEV script can help you, here).

From there, you should be able to use the standard array of utilities
(or other popular but not so standard things like Amanda et. al), like
tar, dump, etc. Which utilities you choose to back up you data are the
subject of a completely different discussion. Check the mailing list
archives... somebody starts a thread like that every few months.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-3630   Saskatoon