Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:15:11 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Smashing Bill Gates necessary? - ressurected?

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On 11/01/01 11:16 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt sat at the `puter and typed:

Actually, I  think I  get to  eat some crow  here. After  reading your
message  I went  back to  the  archives and  my own  'sent' folder.  I
couldn't  find the  relevant messages  in  the archive,  so maybe  you
weren't the person that asked that  this thread be taken off list. Nor
could I find any  of the other messages in this  thread.

I did however  find that the specific comments you  quoted *were* sent
on list,  so I'm  sorry for overreacting  the way I  did. Musta  had a
brainfart.  Of  course  I  probably shouldn't  complain  either.  I've
unintentionally brought threads back onlist myself.

=2E . .
> > I am having a little trouble understanding just where you stand on it
>=20
> Simple.  First, I assert that the idea that the anti-trust trial against
> Microsoft shouldn't have happened is flat out wrong.  Second I assert that
> the idea that the findings of the various courts in the anti-trust trial
> are irrelevant is also flat out wrong.

After reading that carefully, I realize  that you an I are actually in
pretty strong agreement so far.

> Basically, the anti-trust trial SHOULD have happened, and it's results=20
> are binding.  Just because you or I or Bill Gates or anyone else doesen't
> like the results, doesen't make the results wrong or irrelevant.  In fact=
> consider that the issue of the rightness or wrongness of the results is
> now completely irrelevant.  Obedience by Microsoft and it's supporters
> to the punishment the court determines is the only thing relevant.  I
> also assert that the judgement is correct except that it didn't go far
> enough, and that Microsoft is even more guilty than what the court
> determined.

True.
=20
> I also state that Microsoft has had in the past (and probably still does)
> a campaign to push the idea out there that they are the victims of the
> DoJ anti-trust trial.  They also are attempting to push out the idea
> that the results of the trial are irrelevant and don't matter to anyone.
> Both of these ideas are carefully constructed lies by Microsoft's PR
> department.
>
> When people talk about the anti-trust trial as though it's results are so=
me
> kind of "suggestion", they are consciously or unconsciously spreading the
> lies that Microsoft's PR department has created.  The finding of the court
> is that Microsoft is an illegal monopoly, and people that do illegal thin=
gs
> are criminals.  Bill Gates and the other company officers of Microsoft sh=
ould
> be put in prison for a time like any other criminal so they can reflect on
> their crimes and understand that there is a price to unethical business
> practices.

Of course, the fact that the DOJ just rolled over when MS appealed the
finding doesn't  do much  to fight  those ideas.  Of course  there are
still reports that  there will be punishment, but  the initial finding
*did* in fact turn out to be just some kind of "suggestion".

> People that argue that MS is being persecuted have no understanding of
> the elaborate lies and deception that Microsoft practiced and the threats
> and harassment that they practice and still practice, and the unethical
> contracts that they force OEMs to sign.  Microsoft literally destroyed
> one of my previous employers (a software developer)
> with their unethical business dealings and I know that it's true that they
> are a pack of criminals, I've seen it happen right in front of me.=20

Wow. Well, no more uncertainty as to  where you stand. I'm just glad I
realized the error  of my ways back when  all I wanted to do  was be a
Windows developer. Now I won't even use it for my everyday stuff.

Anyway. I  really am sorry for  the knee jerk reaction  in my previous
post. This thread had gotten pretty long and I guess I shoulda checked
more thoroughly before bitching at you.

Of course the idea that this is OT is correct, so sorry for continuing
the OT  Thread syndrome  - I just  felt that my  apology to  you, Ted,
should be public since my complaints were.

Cheers
Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     =D4=BF=D4=AC

Federal grants are offered for... research into the recreation
potential of interplanetary space travel for the culturally disadvantaged.

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO--