Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 23:14:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Kirchner <davidk@accretivetg.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: rdist, ssh, "stdin: is not a tty"

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Leif Neland wrote:

> I'm trying to replicate some webservers to a backup-disk. with rdist
> over ssh.
>
> For some strange reason the backup-server says "stdin: is not a tty",
> when I execute a command like "ssh backupserver df", but it executes
> the command anyway. The backup server is a debian.

It's possible there is something in your user account's .cshrc or
equivalent file when it should probably be in your .login or equivalent.
That is, some command is getting executed when the remote shell is
starting up when it should only be executed when you actually log in to
the server.

> If I do the same from a redhat, where I have compiled ssh and rdist
> myself, I get "LOCAL ERROR: Unexpected response: stdin: is not a tty"
> and rdist terminates.
>
> What causes the difference in behaviour? the redhat and freebsd has
> the same rdist: 6.1.15, and the freebsd-patches does not seem to have
> anything to do with this.

No idea, but I suspect you can fix the stdin: is not a tty message and
then it won't be a problem. :-)