Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:43:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Alex Obradovic <aobradovic@ballantyneinc.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: overclocking and freebsd

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> >Alex Obradovic <aobradovic@ballantyneinc.com> types:
> >> Has anyone been able to overclock successfully with FreeBSD? I was
> >> running my Pentium 3-850 at 1 Gghz for a year with Win 2K. After I
> >> scrapped windows and installed FreeBSD, I had to go down to 850 since
> >> my system would have lots of disk issues, and it would not boot.
> >>
> >> Any overclockers out there?
> >
> >While there are some, the general consensus seems to be that FreeBSD
> >pushes the hardware more than Windows,
>
> That, and also Windows will happily allow you to corrupt it's internal
> data structures with garbage before it tells you that anything's going on.
> Lots of people that have overclocked Windows systems think that everything
> is fine because there's no error messages and programs all seem to work,
> but they get occassional lockups and sometimes files that are corrupted,
> and they put those down to "general Windows instability" not understanding
> that
> it's their overclocking that's the culprit.

Yes, and just therefore, I don't recommend people to overlock their
system. I've never done it myself, I've only once underclocked a Pentium
MMX 200 to 166 Mhz because a mainboard issue...

Anyway, I have often helped local computer users with their problems. Many
times, especially those *game-playing teenagers* complained about their
systems crashing all of the time. A closer look revealed that they had
overclocked their CPUs to about the maximum that's possible, and it's
really not strange if under such circumstances a computer doesn't run
reliably.

Most overclockers think they gain performance, but they don't seem to
notice that even the best performace isn't worth a damn if their system
crashes all ten minutes.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org