Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:47:18 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "webdesigns COMNET" <webdesigns@comnet.ca>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ftp hogging bandwidth

Jason,

I'm afraid I have not used queues myself, so I have no experience on that.

It seems to me that the idea is that you may attach multiple queues to one
pipe, and if the weights of the queues are equal then they will each receive
a fair distribution of the bandwidth available to the pipe, but if some
queues have more weight then they should get more of the available bandwidth
(a bigger slice of the pie :).  The man page does not make it very clear
whether a weight of 1 gets more and 100 less, or vice-versa.

The sample line in that message was simply restated from the question raised
by the original poster.  He was already using a value of 30, so I left it
untouched.

In my use of DUMMYNET I have simply used pipes themselves, without queues,
and that has been sufficient for my needs.

Notice what Jason Borkowsky wrote (or is that you too?)

This is pretty much what I do.

Patrick.