Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:35:24 -0600
From:      Dave Cantrell <phaedrus@alltel.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: being FreeBSD-stable

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 11H57, Scot wrote:
> From: "jett tayer" <tayerv@ph.inter.net>
>
> > im a new user of FreeBSD and i want to know the step by step
> > procedure on how to make my FreeBSD-RELEASE become
> > FreeBSD-stable. Is this possible?
>
> There are several ways to get bring your sources up from -RELEASE to
> -STABLE (CVS, CVSUP, CTM).
>
> I keep my sources up to date with CVSUP, so you would need to do the
> following:

LOTS OF GOOD STUFF DELETED - drc

> 5. Build the world:
>
>     make buildworld
>
> 6. Building a new kernel

LOTS OF GOOD STUFF DELETED - drc

> 7.  Install the kernel
>
>     make installkernel
>
> 8. Install the world:

One question.  Does it matter which is done first, the make (install) world
or the building and installing of the new kernel?

Following the hints/guidance on pages 286-289 of The Complete FreeBSD (2nd
Ed.) (especially the sample script there), I have always done a make world,
then rebuilt the kernel (all in single user mode, of course, and in one
session).  Any problems I ever had were not related to this fact (read:  bad
SIMMS, etc).

drc
--
Dave Cantrell		| Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is User Friendly.
phaedrus@alltel.net	| It's just choosy with whom it makes friends.