Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:12:08 -0400
From:      "Daniel A. Inzirillo" <dinz@videotron.ca>
To:        "DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people'" <daleco@daleco.biz>, Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't get to Internet - Tinker with /etc/hosts?

And the answer is: NO, at least in my case.
Problem solved. I am sending this for the benefit of any other newbee like me
having the same problem.

Problem description:
* 	have two machines connected to the Internet through a cable/DSL router.
* 	One of them is running a freshly installed, not yet custom configured,
FreeBSD 4.7, with the network configured to try DHCP.
* 	the other runs another OS.
* 	The boxes are assigned the 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 addresses by
the router.
* 	They can ping each other.
* 	The FBSD machine cannot get to the Internet, but the other machine can.

Solution that worked for me:
* Find out the internal IP address of your router. In my case it is
192.168.1.1
* Then add  to /etc/rc.conf a line similar to this:
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
using the correct address.
* Also, make sure that something like the following is present:
ifconfig_xxx="DHCP"
where xxx is the name of your network interface (dc0 in my case, use ifconfig
to find out)

(Kevin: Thank you for your messages)

Question: What is the standard way to re-start the network interface to make
sure that config files like rc.conf are read anew after being modified?
Would
ifconfig dc0 down
ifconfig dc0 up
do that?