Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:58:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Putting a USB Compact Flash reader on a FreeBSD system

This is easily doable.  I do it at home right now.  If you get an Sandisk
Imagemate there are some issues with which model (some of which *look*
identical).  Search the archives for "SDDR" and you'll find the threads.

I added this to my kernel config:

# needed for USB mass storage device.
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse
device          uscanner        # Scanners

Then enabled usb in /etc/rc.conf.  My /etc/usbd.conf looks like this.  I
have the SDDR-31 (I think, I'm not at home right now).

device "ImageMate SanDisk"
        product 0x0002
        vendor 0x0781
        release 0x0009
        class 0x0000
        subclass 0x0000
        protocol 0x0000
        devname "umass0"

# The fallthrough entry: Nothing is specified, nothing is done.  And it isn't
# necessary at all :-).  Just for pretty printing in debugging mode.
#
device "USB device"

and an entry in /etc/fstab like this:

/dev/da0s1              /sandisk                msdos   rw,noauto       0       0

Works great for me.