Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2016 18:20:57 -0600
From:      jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drive Read Errors

It would be very useful if users were allowed the option to re-run
very low level format to remove all bad blocks from the "good" blocks
map, and create a new set of good blocks for future bad block replacement.
But of course, that would reduce the capacity (size), which would
require that
such information be available to the computer.

But of course, manufacturers are not interested in "extending" the
usable life of a drive :)