Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:57:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Christopher W Ramsay <cramsay@top.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question regarding compatibility of AGP video cards.

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Christopher W Ramsay wrote:

>         Currently I have FreeBSD 2.2.5, loads and works fine on my AGP based
> board.  I look at the compatibility list and currently, AGP is not supported
> in FreeBSD 2.2.5.  This is not a problem except when I try to load
> X-Windows.  X-Windows will not work on my board.
>         2 questions, the first, does 2.2.6 support AGP based video cards and
> if not, when would one expect FreeBSD to support AGP?
> The second question, is there a version of X-windows that supports AGP and
> would it possible to apply this to the 2.2.5 version?
>         I realize these mailing lists generate many e-mails to subscribers.

It's not a question of FBSD not supporting the card, but XF86.  Since FBSD
2.2.6 comes with a newer version of XF86, you would benefit by upgrading.
You could also just download the new XF86 (www.xfree86.org).

It of course depends on exactly which card you're using, AGP or no.

I am currently using the STB Velocity 128 (NVidia RIVA 128) AGP card under
2.2.6 running XF86 3.3.2 with no problems.

I think I remember someone saying that AGP cards are just treated as PCI
but I'm half remembering it so I don't remember the details.