Date:      Mon, 01 Jul 2002 22:34:18 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        David Hunt <davidh@apdata.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCTEL winmodem

Wow, you might just be screwed with that device.  I have a
(Windows) machine with the PCI version of the "modem."  The
clue is "HSP" == "Host Signal Processing" - there's no modem
hardware of any sort on the the modem, much less a CPU to do
V.42/V.42bis compression and reliability.  The CPU gets to
run DSP algorithms and peform the "mo" and "dem" functions
itself.  The device apparently is nothing but a CODEC.

Of course, they market it as "upgradable" to any new modem
standards because *all* the work is done elsewhere.  On Windows,
there's even an AT command emulated by the driver to specify
how much of the host CPU you want to devote to running the
DSP implementation.

louie