Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 2004 15:09:11 -0500
From:      "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good Information about ipfw

At 21:59 6/1/2004, Martes G Wigglesworth, wrote:
>Is there a good, definitive, source of information for implementing ipfw=20
>firewall rules. I am familiar with the man pages, howerver, a list of=20
>arbitrary functionality, without any clue as to how to actually empliment=
=20
>them is of no use to me.
>I am in Mozul, Iraq, and I have limited time on the Internet, and far less=
=20
>resources than I did before I got activated to come over here.=20
>I would also like to know what the point of most man pages are.  90 percent=
=20
>of them just list arbitrary commands, as though you are supposed
>to know how to use the program in the first place.  There are almost never=
=20
>any useful information about implementing the program that the manpage is=
=20
>supposed to explain, but does not.=20
>
>I have not been able to locate any book on the one firewall, that seems
>to be at the heart of any good Freebsd firewall setup.=20
>
>Please help this wayward soul.
>
>Thanks fellow BSDers.
>
>System: HP Pavilion ze5700 w/ Inetel Celeron 2.8ghz; 256MB ram; 30gig hdd=
=20
>OS:	FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE

Here's some info below.  Perhaps once you figure it all out, you
could write up a "cheatsheet" to help others.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ipfw/
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=3Dfreebsd-ipfw&r=3D1&w=3D2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=3Dfreebsd-ipfw&w=3D2&r=3D1&s=3Dnewbie&q=3Db