Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 01:51:38 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: more psm problems, and an ide thingy

>: >I got this on my mode 0 mouse today:
>:                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~ What mouse is this?
>
>I mean that the mouse is being used in mode 0:

???  Mode 0?  What do you mean?  I wrote the current version of the
psm driver, but have no idea what you are talking about.

>Dec 24 16:45:43 avalon /kernel: psm0 at 0x60-0x64 irq 12 on motherboard
>Dec 24 16:45:43 avalon /kernel: psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
>
>: >  Jan 11 16:18:59 avalon /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (0080 != 0000).

>: >and then it stopped working until reboot.
>:
>: What exactly happened?  Does the mouse pointer didn't move at all?
>: Or, it moved erratically (i.e. jumped around on the screen)?
>
>No motion.  Completely non-responsive.  No button actions, no roller
>actions.

Sounds like the mouse is not sending data anymore.

"out of sync" indicate an error, but it's benign in the sense that
both the mouse and the driver are not going to stop functioning.

Complete halt of the mouse as in your case makes me wonder if the
power to the mouse failed for some reason.  Does your box has big
enough power supply to feed the motherboards, hard disks and all other
peripherals?  Did you by any chance add something to the system
recently?

Kazu

BTW, your mouse is detected as "Generic PS/2", thus, the psm driver is
thinking the mouse has no roller, even if it actually has one.  What
brand of mouse is it?