Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:18:36 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: suroute ??

> Based on the diagnosis quoted, it's a locally maintained perl script
> for tweaking routes. Further, it's an suid perl script. For security
> reasons, FreeBSD by default installs the suidperl program without
> turning on the suid bit. The ASAP solution is to turn it on with
> "chmod u+s /usr/bin/suidperl". The long-term solution if you're
> building from sources is to set "ENABLE_SUIDPERL=true" in
> /etc/make.conf. If you're not building from sources but only
> installing RELEASE's, you'll have to get used to changing it after an
> install.

Seems like a rather messy solution to a simple problem. Is this the
best / most technically correct solution ??  I'm trying to root out as
many "home grown" fixes that have been inherited here as possible
& replace them with "standard" versions where available. I'm sure
this isn't the only situation on the planet where remote users with a
few public IPs dialin to a POP. How does everyone else deal with it ??

Wayyyyyy back when, all the dialup users used SLIP, thankfully there
aren't many of them left. However I've had better results with user-
ppp than pppd and would like to move all the dialups over to user-ppp.
Main challenge appears to be automating the "route add" after the link
is up.