Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:47:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, bde@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Your UserConfig changes for unmasking PCI devices...

> > Ah, how about putting off calling userconfig() until after the PCI and
> > EISA probes?  Since it's only _really_ relevant to the ISA probe
> > process, shouldn't it be directly associated with it?
>
> If this doesn't have any unwonted side-effects, sure!

I believe it would have the side effect of making relocatable PCI
devices immovable, potentially resulting in name space (DMA, IRQ, MEM)
conflits with ISA device that would require physically openning the
machine to fix.

This is the problem with continuing to support ISA in otherwise decent
hardware designs.

I suspect that the best compromise would be to leave it alone (since it
is just noisy, not harmful) until the bus probes can be completely
seperated from the bus drivers.  This would let you only put up PCI
messages when a PCI bus is found (or EISA for EISA, PCMCIA for PCMCIA,
etc.).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---