Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 21:38:42 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>, "Odhiambo Washington" <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PORTMAP

[ redirected to -chat ]=20

On 9/11/00, 7:58:28 PM, Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch> wrote=20
regarding Re[2]: PORTMAP:

> Hello Otter,

> Sunday, September 10, 2000, 4:49:24 PM, you wrote:
> > The rc.conf file is an easy one. As I sit here and think about those=

> > in a mission critical environment, and the changes they might need t=
> > make after getting the OS installed and in production... Is there an=
> > way to make changes to the rc.conf, and somehow
> > restart/reinitialize/etc those changes without rebooting? Maybe
> > sysctl? I've been looking at the man page for it and don't see
> > anything that would work there. Anyone have a clue? I don't.

> That depends heavily on the settings you refer to. You can change many=

> during runtime, some are easier, some harder, some use sysctl (mainly
> those who use sysctl in rc), some someother tool (e.g. kill -HUP). If
> you just want to get down portmap, a simple
> # kill `cat /var/run/portmap.pid`
> should generally do it.

> Best regards,
>  Gabriel

Hello Gabriel,

I had to go out (it was Sunday after all ;-) just when the best part=20
of the conversation was taking place ...

I had thought that the most interesting/least obvious case was that of=20
rc.conf(5); the other cases being relatively easier and related to=20
such [more or less] common commands/man pages as kill(1), killall(1),=20
sysctl(8), sysctl.conf(5); which commands, AFAIR, as well as their=20
[more or less] subtle implications, have been discussed a thousand=20
times on the -questions list.

However, repetita iuvant* :-)

Most importantly, FreeBSD !=3D Winblows. Usually, you only reboot when=20
you wish to boot a new kernel (e.g. during the source updating=20
process) ;-)

--Salvo

*Latin: literally: "repeated things help", ie repeating=20
advice/recommendations/etc. helps.