Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:55:42 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ben Williams <benwilliams@instantemail.net>
Cc:        Pete <pete-freebsd-questions@toscano.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "amnesiac" is disklabel?

On Monday,  3 February 2003 at  2:23:01 -0500, Ben Williams wrote:
> Monday, February 3, 2003, 1:59:52 AM, you wrote:

>>> Maybe I'm being obvious here but have you tried a different cable
>>> and/or controller?
>>>
>>> First step: eliminate hardware as the cause.
>
> GgL> This isn't a hardware issue.
>
> Ok. I haven't had the time/need to use vinum yet so I wasn't sure if
> this was possibly an esoteric FBSD error.

This has nothing to do with Vinum.  He hasn't got there yet.

The clue to hardware errors here is that there's nothing to suggest
it.  The names are not random; they suggest some configuration
problem.  I'm pretty sure that's the case, though admittedly in my
case it builds on similar experiences myself.

Greg