Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 1994 23:22:01 +0000
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Dave Boynton <dboynton@clark.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internal modem on com4

On Tue, 20 Dec 1994, Dave Boynton wrote:

> I read the Slip faq but I'm still at a loss on setting it up
> with my internal modem, which is on com4 (0x2e8, irg 3). I've
> rebuilt the kernel with com4 having those values, and the port
> is recognized on boot-up, but which /dev/tty* do I use for
> kermit and/or slip or ppp?  I've tried /dev/tty0-4 but most say
> "not configured" or "file not found", etc.

I thought it would be easier to flip a jumper to another IRQ (7 I
think)... But anyway, do you have a device called /dev/cua03 using your
setup?  Take a look in /dev.

>From my experiences, if not:

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV cua03

Then instead of choosing /dev/tty* use /dev/cua03 in your
communications program (I use minicom), and that should correspond
to com4 and all should be well.

I hope this helps.