Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 1995 21:12:26 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        raoul@cssc-syd.tansu.com.au (Raoul Golan)
Cc:        fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne), agl@redline.ru, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 940804 (vaporware ;-) reboots the system either:

>check hacks been added as well?  If the latest snap has only taken
>out the memory test, I can conclude that it won't work on my
>machine (since I've already tried to do that)

   Of course there have been hundreds (thousands?) of changes to the kernel
sources since 2.0R - some of them fix bugs that caused the kernel to not boot
on some machines.

>I find it difficult to understand how it could be possible that
>taking the memory test out alone could fix the problem - if the
>problem isn't caught by the test, surely it would reappear later?

   The memory test was removed because it took too long on machines with a
lot of memory (a lot is >= 64MB) and wasn't effective in finding real memory
problems anyway. It wasn't removed with the intention of fixing any sort of
boot problem. The kernel still does a check to make sure that what the BIOS
tells it about the size of memory is actually true (which was the main
intention of the original memory test). Since you seem to have relatively new
hardware, it's extremely unlikely that your problem is in any way related to
memory sizing.
   If I were going to troubleshoot the problem, I'd find out how far it
actually gets before resetting. If it makes it as far as C code (i.e. past
the code in locore), I'd put in printf's followed by DELAY(1000000) at
various points to find where it dies.

-DG