Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 07:04:22 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        imb@scgt.oz.au
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low end PS laser, or inkjet/bubblejet

    michael> matthew c. mead writes:
    >> I kind of figured.  I know BSD lpr/lpd stuff pretty well...

    >> > eps|epson-postscript|EPSON Stylus COLOR PostScript:\ >
    >> :lp=/dev/lpt1:\ > :sd=/var/spool/eps:\ > :sh:\ >
    >> :of=/usr/local/bin/gseps:\ > :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\ > :mx#0:

    >> > /usr/local/bin/gseps:

    >> > #!/bin/sh > /usr/local/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=escp2cfs2
    >> -r360 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- -

    >> I'd probably end up using apsfilter so that I could just do a
    >> plain old lpr and it would autodetect both ps and dvi input.

    michael> Whilst not directly related .. I run a pair of HP4s (one
    michael> M+ and one MV for A3 printing) with JetDirect cards and,
    michael> therefore, an "rm" entry in /etc/printcap. What surprised
    michael> me was that I don't seem to be able to get any filters to
    michael> preprocess the stuff before shooting it at the printer.

Ah, yep.  The LPD protocol says that filtering of jobs happens on the
printer host.  And if the printer host is itself the printer, it's
expected to have enough smarts to know how to convert DVI, troff,
ditroff, cifplot, Fortran Text, etc., to native format.

    michael> Is this what's supposed to happen ? How do I fix it ? :-)

Oh, I'm sure it's not what you wanted!  You can fix it if your
JetDirect card also supports non-server (LPD) mode---if it just has
some data stream mode, where it listens to a certain port number and
prints any data that comes in, rather than emulate a spooling host.

If it can do that, then set up on of your FreeBSD hosts to be the
printer host.  Then you can have the conversion filters for the
formats you want to support.  Have them send their results to the
printer.

Or, use PLP or LPRng, which support filtering of jobs on the
submitting host instead of the printer host---then you can still use
the server mode on the printer.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

I can remember the first time I had to go to sleep.  Mom said,
"Steven, time to go to sleep."  I said, "But I don't know how." She
said, "It's real easy.  Just go down to the end of tired and hang a
left."  So I went down to the end of tired, and just out of curiosity
I hung a right.  My mother was there, and she said "I thought I told
you to go to sleep." -- Steven Wright