Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 15:55:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wow!

Nate Williams stands accused of saying:
> trout:/usr/user/nate/Mail % uptime
> 10:55PM  up 67 days,  5:58, 2 users, load averages: 0.19, 0.21, 0.15
>
> This box has been on the Internet the entire time, and every night I do
> a sup to update the bits from freefall and update my tree.  I've done
> tons of builds, tests, and when I have company they use NetScape to
> 'Surf the Web' on this box.  It isn't ftp.cdrom.com, but it gets quite a
> beating for a single-user system.
>
> It's been rock-solid (even though I'm running 2.0R with minor tweaks by
> me) and I *hate* to upgrade it, but I want some of the new features of
> 2.1 including the newer VM stuff, plus all the fixes.

Not to knock Nate in the slightest, but simply to add my weight to his
congratulations, I have two stories to tell.

- the first was the recent decommissioning of spam.apana.org.au, a stock
2.0 system, and the machine I used as a mail and ftp server at home.
With 5M of memory and never enough disk, it routed my not-terribly-busy
SLIP link and served 2.0 and later 2.0.5 to large numbers of up-and-coming
APANA FreeBSD'ers.  Uptime when shut off was a little over two months,
and only that due to a power failure.

- the second is our organisation's mail server, router, FTP server, xdm
server, socks proxy, you name it.  On an insanely busy ethernet, it provides
serial ports for our dialin SLIP links, serves several Sun 3/60s being used
as Xterms, provides fileservice to a small group of Workgroups machines
using Samba, has about twenty shell accounts for mail users, runs the
only SCSI bus suitable for "enterprise" backups, runs a socks proxy for
several internal 10.* networks, and has this to say about its uptime :

 3:46PM  up 125 days, 22:06, 3 users, load averages: 0.13, 0.52, 1.02

(For about a month in there there were a couple of runaway vi processes
 that pushed the load average up to 2+ continually, and there's an
 autoconf fragment in there that's locked on something mmaped, but I can't
 be bothered rebooting for such a trifle.  We lost an NFS mount for a week
 or so as well, but nothing broke.)

Needless to say, this is a 2.0R system as well 8)    Sometime soon (like
when I get the time 8) it will go to 2.1 in order to handle PPP logins
and perhaps grow some more disk at the same time.

In the same period, the Suns have never stayed up for more than a few weeks,
offering an excellent contrast 8)

> Kudos to all of those involved.  I still have a hard-time imagining I
> don't have to pay for this, and that it runs so much better than the SCO
> boxes we pay monster bucks at work with.

Spot on.  I know everyone's having a hard time right now, but hopefully
being thanked will at least lower the blood pressure a tad 8)

> Thanks folks for all of the hard work!

Amen!

> Nate

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[