Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 1995 15:48:34 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port of strace?

Sounds like there is a value add for such a port.  I don't think we'd
reject it should it be submitted.

Paul

  From: Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>

     As Paul Fox wrote:
     > hi -- is anyone aware of a porting effort for the "strace" command?

     Hmm, we've got ktrace already.  Where's the difference?

  strace (trace on SunOS, truss on Solaris) is much less clumsy to use, just
  say strace -p <pid>, watch system calls go by, and detach with INTR.
  ktrace wants a file (bad) and needs separate command (kdump) to watch what
  was going on (too late).

  ktrace has more features, probably, but I do miss (s)trace, it has been
  really helpful tracking down various problems.

  --
  Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
  hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN