Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 11:34:09 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mike@inlink.com (Mike Moseler)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BusLogic 946C PCI

Mike Moseler stands accused of saying:

> We just got a BusLogic 946C PCI card in and put it in our server (ASUS)

Throw it out.  General consensus has it that these cards aren't worth
the grief.  Get an SC200 (NCR) from the same place you got the ASUS board,
or if you're _really_ hammering the machine, get an Adaptec 2940 and
update your kernel to -STABLE.

> card or something of that sort.  My question is, did they fix anything in
> the driver for this card in the newer code?  How hard would it be for me to
> upgrade to a stable driver?  Would it involve recompiling the entire OS?  Is
> this driver even stable enough for a server that needs really good reliability?

The PCI Buslogic cards have some _fundamental_ design problems that can't
be worked around, AFAIK.

> Mike

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[