Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 01:38:17 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: msdos brokennes and related subjects

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> I am trying to work on the MSDOS partition on 2.1R. I have tried with
> both mtools and the msdosfs.
>
> MTOOLS:
> -------
> mtools does not support C: anymore (it used to in 1.1.5). I patched my
> 2.1R port of mtools with 1.1.5 patches, and it seems to work perfectly
> (it does not use any system call, just reads the partition table).
>
> If there is interest, I'd like to submit a patch to allow the support
> of non-removable media.
>

> MSDOSFS:
> --------
> As it has been said many times, msdosfs is known to be broken there,
> and I have never been so brave to try this on my own machine...
> . . . . .
> Is it possible that the MSDOSFS tries to access/modify the partition table,
> even though it is not anymore part of the DOS slice ?

I'm a fair way through revisions of the msdosfs and have tracked most of
an initial lot of problems, including at least one where it just gets plain
confused (which relates to LSN translation).

As I'm also still finishing off a dosfsck utility, which is needed for
testing some of the new code, your patch seems like a good idea for those
who are currently waiting for msdosfs revisions before they can access
their DOS partitions.

--
Robert Nordier