Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 00:13:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jhs@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jonas@mcs.com
Subject:   Re: xview-lib

 * Seems like ports/x11/xview-lib may be a defunct orphan:
 *   (I discovered this when I ran a for loop making all ~300 ports packages,
 *   & this one broke)
 * I suggest consider hashing out the SUBDIR += xview-lib in x11/Makefile,
 * until it's fixed or a maintainer volunteers (not me, dunno what it is even :-)
 * > > This port fetch fails,
 * > > /usr/bin/ncftp -N ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/xview-lib.tar
 * - .gz

It fails because there is no fetch rule, and you are using the
fetch-list (which isn't a very well-tested feature, unfortunately).
xview-lib and xview-clients depend on xview-config which has all the
stuff.

The fetching is turned off via an empty do-fetch target in the
Makefile so normal users won't run into this trap.

As for the fix, I have no idea.  Maybe a new NO_FETCH variable to make
an empty do-fetch target and turn off the fetch-list...?

Satoshi