Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 19:32:01 +1100
From:      Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
To:        bmk@transport.com
Subject:   Re: perl4

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:41:45 -0800 (PST)  "Brant M. Katkansky" wrote:

> * Leave things the way they are, and keep perl4 as the standard perl.
> Perl5 can be installed in /usr/local as a package.

Do this, but rename /usr/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl4 (and symlink it to
/usr/bin/perl5.036 -- what happened to that?).

Then the FreeBSD scripts in /usr/bin etc can invoke #! /usr/bin/perl4
and a user installing perl5 into /usr/local/bin won't be surprised.

This solution "works" for our existing scripts, doesn't bloat the
distribution and looks less out of date since we're clearly shipping
perl4 on purpose.

User scripts with #! /usr/bin/perl won't work until something is done;
we might need a "use perl4 or install perl5" sort of script as
/usr/bin/perl for one release.

Giles