Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 10:01:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
To:        "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: cable vs. ISDN

> >the hardware used for the Rogers prototype talked to the computers by
> >Ethernet.
>
> As pointed out earlier, isn't ethernet tcp/ip based or some other network
> protocol based...

The question is phrased poorly, and is ambiguous, so I'll answer both
interpretations. :-)

Is Ethernet tied to a specific protocol, like TCP/IP?  No.  Ethernet just
gets a packet from point A to point B, accompanied by a checksum (well,
CRC) and a type indicator.  Any other structure is imposed by software.

Do you need to use a non-trivial protocol of some kind to make use of
Ethernet?  In principle, no, but in practice, yes.  However, this is not
necessarily a bad thing, because talking to network or a complex device
invariably involves a protocol *anyway*... and better you should use a
well-designed one that your software already supports.  The alternative is
not to do without a protocol, but to use some kludged-up mess invented by
the hardware vendor, typically undocumented and buggy.  (I've written
device drivers.)  I'd much rather have the hardware supplier use a standard
protocol that I have debugging tools for.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@zoo.toronto.edu