Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 20:06:38 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] mbuf 128 vs 1k bytes ??

>an mbuf is 128 bytes.  mbuf clusters are 2k.  per my reading of
>/sys/i386/include/param.h

   Yes, that is correct.

>why does "vmstat -m" report mbufs as being 1k in -current ?? are

   Because mbufs are no longer allocated out of the malloc pool. The 1K entry
that you are seeing is just some malloc() in the kernel that (probably bogusly)
specified the M_MBUF type. I only have 1 of them on my machine:

        Type  InUse MemUse HighUse  Limit Requests Limit Limit Size(s)
         mbuf     1     1K      1K 19661K        1    0     0  1K

   ...anyway, this is all much to do about nothing. To find out how many
network buffers are in-use, use netstat -m.

-DG

David Greenman