Date:      Sun, 08 Sep 1996 16:21:45 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        jmb
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] cvs diff *

>	here is the section on the man page that confuses me:
>
>              mand.  If you don't specify a particular  revision,
>              your  files  are  compared  with the revisions they
>              were based on.  You can also use the  standard  cvs
>
>	doesnt this mean, that vm_page.c vers 1.62 will be diff'ed
>	against the HEAD (vers 1.63) ??

Not at all.  The last revision you checked out was 1.62, so you will by
default diff against that version.  CVS uses the static revision number not
a "branch tag" like HEAD or RELENG_2_1_0 to determine the file to diff
against for exactly the reason that they can change between updates of your
checked out version.

>	moreover if no files are listed on the command line
>	then all files in the local directory (and below should be
>	diff'ed, but the are not.  so "cvs diff" run while in
>	/sys/vm should diff every file in the directory, including
>	vm_page.c.  but no output is displayed ;(
>
>              If you don't specify any files, diff  will  display
>              differences  for  all  those  files  in the current
>              directory (and its subdirectories, unless  you  use
>              the standard option -l) that differ from the corre-
>              sponding revision in the  source  repository  (i.e.
>              files  that  you have changed), or that differ from
>              the revision specified.
>
>	still confused ;(

It did diff them all, but found nothing had changed.  If you go in and
hand modify any of those files, you will get diffs.  If you specify
"-r HEAD" you will see all of John's recent changes for example.

>	perhaps, i am not checking out and updating correctly?
>	initial command:	cd /usr; cvs co -P src
>	to update:		cd /usr; cvs update -P

I think you're confusing things like "HEAD" and "RELENG_2_1_0" with
actual revision numbers.  Once you get that figured out, you're home
free.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations