Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 11:22:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux compat issue(s)

> I am not familiar with ELF in particular, but other modern binary file
> formats (IFF, MFF, PNG, even GIF) support a mechanism for adding entries
> to the file without having to understand the file's content completely.
>
> What's wrong with using a NOTE field. Sure, the binary's size will change
> but all the offsets should automagically drop in...

How do you tell the difference between Linux binaries (which do not use
the note field you suggest) and SVR4 binaries (which do not use the note
field you suggest) on a FreeBSD box (which will create binaries with the
note field, so all you can tell about the other binaries is that they are
"ELF, not FreeBSD")?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---