Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 12:41:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        kory@avatar.com, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-970114-SNAP as starting point for SMP kernel

> >Is it possible to setup a system with two releases? I would like to try
> >out the 3.0-SNAP for SMP support, but I would like to be able to boot my
> >2.1.5-RELEASE incase of trouble.
>
> I think that the differences are great enough that you would have to handle
> them as two different OSes, ie. different partitions, etc.

Yes.

All of the utilities that operate on the kernel memory image (ps and so
on) are not sufficiently abstracted through procfs to let them be usable
across proc structure changes.

The utmp/wtmp record size recently changed, and the change would be
in the snapshot.  Therefore the utmp/wtmp file would not interoperate
between version (who, w, and so on would fail).  There are many
additional changes similar in scope.

Fixing most of these means abstracting the interfaces; this would
still fail backward compatability, but *would* guarantee forward
compatability across future developement, so it's worth pursuing.

Fully abstracting some of the tools (like ps) to operate on data-statites
like procfs, means that the tools would no longer be usable against,
for instance kernel dump images (kernel dump images can't run FS code
to respond to abstract I/O requests).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---