Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 07:43:55 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
To:        Oleg Kolesnikov <joshua@main.univers.chernovtsy.ua>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How to enable user to view only certain part of FS [see letter]

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Oleg Kolesnikov wrote:

> Say, user's home directory is /mnt/userhomes/username.
> I want this user to be able to view only /mnt/userhomes/username/... and
> everything that is lower down the user's home directory
> (i.e. so, that the construction:
> cd ../../../etc;cat hosts  wouldn't work)

Why?

I know people who have done this thinking it makes things more "secure" ..
and it only roots up things even further :)
(eg user processes can't read system files to get the current nameserver
setup, or /etc/passwd/group to get uid/gid -> name mapping, other nasty
stuff), since /etc/ DOES hold files that are quite useful for user
processes :)

If you are worried about people seeing your config, you CAN chmod stuff
that is run by root so that only ROOT can read / write / execute the file,
and noone else can. I wouldn't suggest this unless you knew what files
are only ever accessed by root.

Why do you want to do this ?

Cya.

Adrian Chadd