Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:09:27 +0100
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump/restore with compression, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)

At 17:34 +0100 13/6/97, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> I'd never use any compression -- except hardware-based like DAT's --
>> because you can't recover much if your tape have a problem... I'm against
>> compressed file systems for that very reason too.
>
>This depends on the implementation.  A correct implementation will
>use block compression rather than file compression or driver level
>disk compression to limit the possibility of damage.
>
>Block compression also has the advantage that the compression tables
>are highly sensitive to the type of data, so you don't end up
>compressing a region with a suboptimal table.

You still get the phenomenon that I usually describe as 'uncompressing the
error' - your physical block contains more information when it's
compressed, so you lose more than in the uncompressed case even if you can
recover.

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK