Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 1997 20:42:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        A Joseph Koshy <koshy@india.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RUN_DEPENDS and USE_PERL5

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, A Joseph Koshy wrote:

> If one is trying to install a P5- module (eg: p5-CGI_Lite), this
> causes the build to look for "/usr/ports/lang/perl5".
>
> Now this shouldn't be necessary, as Perl5 could have been installed
> and present in ${PREFIX}/bin/perl5.

The general argument for ports cooperating is that we can't cater to all
the different ways someone may have installed a prerequisite.  All the
perl5 ports assume that the perl5 you have installed is the FreeBSD port
and therefore will be ${PREFIX}/bin/perl and ${PREFIX}/bin/perl5.00x_??

It would be nice to handle all the different situations a port may be
installed on top of, but at a certain point (and with more than 1000
ports, I think we've reached it) the permutations get out of hand.

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon                                         james@nexis.net |
| The Nexis Group                                 Voice/Fax : 416 410-0100 |