Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:31:52 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com.au>
To:        Adam David <adam@veda.is>
Cc:        peter@FreeBSD.ORG (Peter Wemm), cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-usrbin@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/top machine.c

Adam David wrote:
> > peter       1997/07/14 02:06:47 PDT
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     usr.bin/top          machine.c
> >   Log:
> >   Hack to work around the large username field...  scan for the largest
> >   username present on the system at startup and use that for the field widt
    h.
> >   It's not ideal but (I think) better than it was before.  The width is
> >   limited to within 8..16.
> >
> >   Revision  Changes    Path
> >   1.5       +25 -19    src/usr.bin/top/machine.c
>
> Wasn't it a better idea to keep track of username length for the processes th
    at
> top sees?

And what if somebody with a 16 character login name logs in?  You can't
take a snapshot of what is currently visible and assume that no new uid's
are going to turn up...

I had considered trying to expand the column on demand when/if a username
longer than 8 characters logs in.  Would that make sense?  I don't think
it's too hard but it will require more tweaks inside src/contrib/top.

> --
> Adam David <adam@veda.is>

Cheers,
-Peter