Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:18:59 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        BRiGHTMN <brightmn@a-v25.rh.sunyit.edu>, Stephen Hocking <shocking@mailbox.uq.edu.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Things_that_=A3$=22$_me_off_about_fbsd?=

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 1997 at 12:15:44PM +0100, Stephen Roome wrote:
> >
> > I think you really just need the exact right card, nothing else ever
> > works great - my one great gripe with FreeBSD.
> >

> I've got none ;)
> (apart from crashing my machine this morning whilst trying to
> ls an msdos floppy which was busy having a file copied to it.

Someone once mentioned that this is due to not using the correct device,
although I'm not sure it's that simple. But then if you think that's bad
how about nfs. mount a filesystem off any other freebsd machine and then
unplug that freebsd machine, you can't unmount that remote system without
going through hell - or a power cycle.

> Carnage!!  Takes the entire fs mechanism down, i.e. mount hangs,
> umount hangs, aaarrrrgggghhh!)

Same for nfs. It's not as bad as M$ Windows which can't do anything while
formatting a floppy, but it's pretty bad.

(Perhaps I have more gripes with FreeBSD than I realised!)

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/