Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 13:21:06 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        bob@luke.pmr.com
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, hoek@hwcn.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

Bob Willcox writes:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 1997 at 11:09:23AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> Tim Vanderhoek writes:

>>> Maybe.  If Microsoft was what followed IBM, then I shudder to
>>> think of what will follow Microsoft.
>>
>> Hmmm.  I don't know. IBM was pretty hated in their day.  But I
>> understand your concern :-)
>
> What, exactly, did IBM do during those days that made it so hated?

Good question.

> You see, I am a retired IBMer (veteran of 30 years)

Sure, I know that.

> and probably have a _very_ different perspective wrt IBM (I still
> believe that it is a good company, if sometimes misguided and
> suffering from its shear size).

I think you do, judging by our conversations.

> OTOH, I find Microsoft most apauling. While with IBM I often heard
> horror stories about how impossible it was to deal with Microsoft.
> Everything had to be their way or not at all. There was no possibility
> of compromise. Of course this is really just hearsay, since I never
> worked in an area that had to deal directly with Microsoft (thank God).

This is probably correct.  I'm not sure, though, that it's so
relevant.  It will be interesting to look back to the 90's in about 20
years time and analyse it then, but in the meantime, here's my take:

1.  Nobody like a monopolist.  IBM had a virtual monopoly on the
    mainframe market in the 70s.  Microsoft has a virtual monopoly on
    the PC software market now.  That in itself is enough to make the
    companies unpopular.

2.  A monopoly doesn't have to worry about quality, service, etc. as
    much as a small, struggling competitor.  I think this showed
    through with IBM's attitude, and it definitely does with
    Microslop.

3.  On the other hand, there are differences.  I think you make a
    valid point that IBM was thoroughly professional in their
    approach, whereas I can't really say that for Microsoft.

    But I think we can overestimate the meaning of this difference.
    The industry has changed beyond recognition--the fact that IBM is
    no longer number 1 is a good indication.  I think that the market
    in general has become less professional, perhaps thanks in part to
    Billy Boy, but certainly also due to the competition from Asia.

4.  This whole thing is probably cyclical.  In the 1960s, IBM
    recognized what the emerging computer market needed, and they
    supplied it in a way which helped them to increase their lead from
    their competitors.  Microsoft did the same in the 80s.
    Ultimately, I suspect, a sense of complacency and a lack of
    interest in solving customer problems, combined with changes in
    technology, caused IBM to come down from its pedestal.  I'm sure
    that the same will happen to Microsoft.  Why is NT such a pig?
    It's supposed to be a completely new start, but they've got so
    locked into their corporate way of thinking that they can't really
    start afresh.

Hmm.  I'm rambling.
Greg